{A new section to help our members better understand their benefits.}


calpers The CalPERS Power of Attorney

A CalPERS Special Power of Attorney allows you to create a durable power of attorney by appointing the person named in the document to make retirement-related decisions for you as allowed by the California Probate Code. This power is expressly limited to decisions relating to your financial and health benefits under the California Public Employees’ Retirement System.

Having a CalPERS Special Power of Attorney on file with CalPERS ensures that your designated attorney-in-fact will be able to perform important duties concerning your CalPERS business, such as address changes, federal or State tax withholding elections, lost or stolen retirement checks, endorsing checks, beneficiary designations, or retirement benefit elections should you become unable to act on your own behalf.
You must complete a power of attorney form while you are able to understand the powers you are granting. If you become unable to handle your affairs before completing a power of attorney, CalPERS may find it necessary to withhold your retirement allowance until a court appoints a conservator to handle your affairs.

With a CalPERS Special Power of Attorney form on file, your attorney-in-fact can take care of your retirement affairs immediately. You may also continue to act on your own behalf. Your attorney-in-fact is able to act in matters concerning your retirement even if you are not incapacitated unless you specify that the power of attorney will not take effect until you become incapacitated or until some future date or event occurs.
Be sure that your power of attorney form is easily accessible so that your attorney-in-fact has access to it should the need arise to transact retirement business. Planning ahead can prevent anguish for you and your family.

Visit the CalPERS Power of Attorney page.


mp CCPOA Medical Plan

How do I know what medical plan to contact when I need medical care?
Your medical plan information is located on your medical ID card. If you don't have a current card, you can also contact your personnel specialist, or CalPERS, to check your medical plan enrollment. If you need additional assistance, please contact the Trust at 800-468-6486.

I've transferred to a different location. Do I have to switch medical plans?
You might. Not all medical plans are available throughout California. Check with your new personnel specialist to see if you need to update your medical choice when you transfer. You don't need to wait until the annual open enrollment when you move.

How can I lower my prescription costs?
It's a great idea to review your prescriptions to lower your expenses. Review your prescriptions with your medical care provider and evaluate whether you can eliminate some medications. If there is a generic equivalent for a medication, ask your medical provider to switch you; generics can significantly lower your expenses. Also, if you take a medication on a regular basis, ask to transfer prescriptions to your plan's mail order pharmacy. Many mail order pharmacies give you a 90 day supply, and your copayment is lower.

Where do I go to get chiropractic care?
CCPOA Medical Plan participants have a network chiropractic benefit. You can visit a network chiropractor for 20 visits a year, with a $15 copayment. To find a network chiropractor, call 800-678-9133.

What’s Teladoc?
As a CCPOA Medical Plan member, you can use Teladoc to speak with a doctor on the phone or online, at any time. All doctors are board-certified California physicians and you just pay a $15 copay – the same as seeing your doctor.
Visit teladoc.com/bsc or call 1-800-Teladoc (835-2362) to register or request a consult.

I'm retired. What medical plans can I have?
CalPERS becomes your health benefits officer in retirement. They have information on their website - www.calpers.ca.gov to help you make decisions about what medical plans work best for you. You can also call them at 888-225-7377. If you are a CCPOA retiree living in a covered zip code area you can also enroll in the CCPOA Medical Plan or our Medicare Supplement.

I'm about to be married. Do I have to wait for open enrollment to add my new spouse?
You have 60 days from the date of your marriage to add your spouse and any stepchildren to your medical plan. If you are active, check with your personnel specialist. If you are retired, contact CalPERS. You may need to provide a copy of the marriage certificate and possibly social security numbers and dates of birth for your new dependents.

I'm retiring; where do I go to make sure I get signed up for medical?

Congratulations! The Trust and CalPERS have resources for planning your retirement. When you retire, CalPERS becomes your health benefit officer. Give them a call as soon as you begin your retirement planning to find out what steps you need to take. Your personnel specialist will also assist you in filing your retirement paperwork. Also, be sure to check out the Trust's retirement planning section found on the homepage of this website and call the Trust's Eligibility Department at 800-468-6486 to get your Trust retirement benefits ready.

I've lost my medical card. How do I get a new one?
Getting a replacement card is simple. Just give your health plan a call and request a new card. (Some plans also allow you to request new cards through their websites).

CCPOA Medical Plan: 800-257-6213
PERS Select/Care/Choice 877-737-7776
(Anthem Blue Cross) 818-234-5141 (international)
Blue Shield 800-334-5847
Kaiser 800-464-4000




Is there an open enrollment for Piggyback?
No, you can join Piggyback throughout the year. Enrollment materials are on the Trust website, or you can contact the Trust to have a enrollment information mailed to you.

Do I have to enroll every year to keep my piggyback?
You don’t need to re-enroll in piggyback once you’ve joined.

My child needs braces; how does that work with piggyback?
Piggyback has an orthodontic benefit with a $500 family lifetime benefit. Check with the Trust before beginning treatment for details on using this benefit.
Is there a separate piggyback for vision?
No, Piggyback is easy to use and that might make it our most popular program, with dental, vision and a hearing aid benefit combined. When you have Piggyback, you have all three benefits dental, vision and hearing aid coverage.
How do I use my piggyback for eyeglasses?
When you visit your eye-care provider for services ask for an itemized receipt. Send a copy of your receipt to the Trust with the last 4 of your SSN. We will quickly review your claim and issue a check to you for your covered expenses.




How do I know if I'm covered?

Vision coverage is automatic for active BU6 members and their immediate family members. Supervisory CCPOA members also enjoy a richer vision program through the Trust. CCPOA Retired members can enroll in Trust vision programs that are automatically deducted. If you have questions about whether you or a family member is eligible, please call the Trust's Eligibility Department at 800-468-6486.

How do I use my vision benefits?
When you are enrolled in a CCPOA vision program, you get personalized eye care and the eye wellness care necessary to keep you healthy and on the move.
To use your vision benefit, simply contact VSP at 800-877-7195 and ask the VSP representative to assist you with using your VSP benefit. Or, you can go online to vsp.com and register to find a VPS eye care provider near you, review your benefit information, and see plan coverage information. At your appointment just let them know you're a VSP participant. You don't need an ID card to use your vision services.
I'm retired. Can I still get vision through the Trust?
Yes! Although the State does not provide an automatic vision benefit, you can get the vision care you need by enrolling in a vision care program through the Trust. Information and enrollment materials are in the retired section of this website.

I'm a supervisor. Do I still get the 2nd pair benefit?
CCPOA Supervisors get a richer vision benefit than non-members through the CCPOA Benefit Trust Fund. This includes a second pair benefit.
To see your benefits, visit the Supervisory tab on the VSP page.
When I went to get my eyes checked, the 2nd pair benefit didn't show. I promoted last year. What gives?
Unfortunately, sometimes there are glitches with the file the State provides for supervisory vision care.
Please call the Trust Eligibility Department at 800-468-6486 and we'll promptly correct your vision care coverage through VSP.




Odds & Ends

What are the ERISA rules?
Please be aware that, depending on your circumstances and the product(s) you select, your group benefits plan may be subject to the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (“ERISA”).

You should consult your tax and legal advisors regarding the applicability of ERISA to any arrangements addressed in this material. New York Life, its subsidiaries, agents, and employees do not provide legal, tax, or ERISA advice.

The tax consequences of benefits paid under this policy may depend on whether the employee pays for the coverage and to what extent the coverage is paid for on a pre- or post-tax basis, among other factors. Certain requirements apply to coverage offered under “cafeteria plans” subject to IRS sec. 125, including minimum eligibility and participation requirements. You should discuss with your tax advisor the consequences of buying this policy, including whether premium payments are deductible, the taxability of benefits; and whether you have met all applicable tax requirements. New York Life Insurance Company, its employees, agents, and affiliates cannot provide tax advice.

How do I reach CCPOA?
The toll-free number to CCPOA Headquarters is: 800-821-6443. The CCPOA website is www.ccpoa.org.
Who do I call about retired medical and dental?
For general information on your retired health and dental benefits, contact CalPERS at 888-225-7377or go to www.calpers.ca.gov.
If you are not yet retired, please check with the Trust at 800-468-6486 or your personnel specialist.

Where do I go if I have a problem or question about my benefits?
Please contact the Trust. Our staff is trained on your benefits. If we cannot personally assist you with a benefit, we will have the correct contact information to help you resolve your benefit question.
I need to change my beneficiary. Is there a form for that?
Yes! Please visit our Forms section for a beneficiary change form. You can review your beneficiary information for Trust benefits by registering on our secure dynamic website. Or call the Trust Eligibility department at 800-468-6486.
How to I join CCPOA?
Applications for both active and retired members are found on the Union website. Click here for applications.
Request a Trust representative visit your institution?
Contact Victoria Davis at (800) 468-6486. There is also a Field Representative Calendar on the home page of our website showing when a field representative will be in your area.
Where is the Trust located?
The Trust is based in Sacramento, California. Visit our Contact Us section for directions and a map to the Trust.
How do I get a copy of program documents?
Copies of program documents may be downloaded from this website. Click the "Forms & Documents" tab on each program page for download links.
Or call the Trust at 800-468-6486 to request printed information.