Benefit Programs



Dental Plans
Primary Dental & Western Dental


Your dental program changes when you retire. Your personnel specialist will help you with the transition and explain the differences between your current dental program and the State’s Retired dental program.

Retired members obtain dental coverage thorough CalPERS.

If you are currently retired and need information on your dental coverage, please contact CalPERS.

Here’s a quick rundown:
Bargaining Unit Six dental programs are not currently available to Retired members through the Benefit Trust.
When you retire and if you want to continue dental coverage, you are required to change to a State-sponsored dental plan for retired state annuitants.

The qualifications for State Dental coverage:

  1. You are eligible if you retire within 120 days of your separation; and,
  2. you are eligible to receive a CalPERS retirement benefit.

If you meet the above criteria, but did not enroll in a dental plan at the time of your retirement, it is possible to join later, during the State’s annual open enrollment period (usually held in the Fall for the next year).

Can I continue my CCPOA Primary or Western Dental as a Retired?

No. These programs are only available to you as an active CCPOA member.

Can I add or drop family members?

Yes. You can do so when you initially enroll, during the annual open enrollment period, and within 60 days from the date a change in your family occurs (marriage, divorce, new baby). To make changes to your dental program once you are retired, contact CalPERS.

State-Sponsored Dental Plans

The program is administered by the California Department of Human Resources (CalHR), which provides information on dental coverage benefits and plans on its website.

Visit CalHR website

Questions regarding your Dental coverage?

For more information please contact CalPERS: